Friday, March 7, 2014

Like Father, Like Son

My sister and I just saw Like Father, Like Son or  そして父になる, a modern Japanese film about two families discovering that their child was switched at birth and what they decide to do about it. 

Here's the trailer: Like Father, Like Son Trailer



Overall, I left the theatre feeling that it is good film. Would I see it again? Prolly not. I mean its not like The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover or Memories of MatsukoBut seriously, there are only a handful of amazing films in this world that is worth seeing more than once. 


However, it is a good film to see and I am glad part of my youth was spent on watching this film. So yeah I recommend it. 


I like how the writers reveals the characters in a human light that while the characters are pointed, its not to an extreme. 


For example, while Ryota is definitely painted as the workaholic absentee father, the changes that he goes through towards being a warmer father is believable because its not so drastic. Its closer to "real life." 


Yes, at the end of the film he still works in the same company. Drives the same fancy car. Lives in the same fancy flat. Has the same haircut. Wears the same grey toned outfits. Smiling is still a rare occurrence. The writers did not use cliché devices like a complete mental melt-down, shooting everyone in the office, car accident (is it just me, or there's a car accident in every other movie), wife leaving him, someone somehow got cancer, aliens visits from outer space or other major crisis that would rocks every single part of his life to change. 


The filmmakers show me how he is affected internally by the events around him: the chat with his own father, his boss straight up telling him that he needs to spend more time with the family,  Yudai - the other father - asks him to fly kites with the kids, a walk in the man-made forest and then seeing the photos taken by Keita, the son he fathered for 6 years. 


The filmmakers show that sometimes when major changes occur like realizing the love for a young boy, it can happen incrementally.     

On different another note, the way the character Midori behaves, makes me wish she takes stronger action. I mean there are times when she stands up to Ryota, but not enough really to ensure her own happiness in the dealings. 


I kept wondering why would she allow Ryota to make decisions about which son to keep when he doesn't really spend time with him? I mean the man doesn't even play with the kid as a father or a friend.  Not only speak your mind woman, take some action! 


But, my sister thinks that Midori's submissive behavior closer resembles to the Japanese women she came in contact with. I argued however, that the filmmaker also shows Yukari, the sensible mother who feels free to voice her opinion. So perhaps its more a matter of city women and country women? What do you think? When you see the film, let me know what you think.


Something interesting to note of the two couple's dynamic: its seems to me, whoever is the main bread earner of a couple is given the say-so in most relationships. 


So! In Midori's case, she doesn't need to work because her husband is a successful businessman and she is willing to give up her power to him and he is ready to take it all on by himself. On the other hand, while Yukari not only has to take care of 3 children but she also has a job working in a store. And she is shown having at least equal voice and decision making in the relationship.   


And I think this is Universal. It is true what I witnessed in any types of marriage or partnership: queer, gay or straight: whoever has is the main provider is given and gets the say-so.  I can smell that miles away in every relationship. I can also sense when its more or less equal. 


So I have mix feelings about house-husbands and house-wives as a result. Like I know being a house-person is alot of work to take care of kids and family, but do they have to give up their power too? Sure its not like that 100% but I feel its is like that 99% of the time. 


What do you think? How are your feelings and take on how money affects the dynamic of a couple? 


Anyway, back to the movie... yes, go see it. The kids are SUPER cute in the film. I might see it again just to see those kids again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment